Popular Posts

Monday, October 14, 2013

A visual review of Lee DeWyze's new album "Frames" track #'s 5 & 6...


I am giving Mare and Danielle the night off! ...a very well deserved night off....


This post will be a little different because the next two tracks, “Like I Do” & “Open Your Eyes” have not yet made it to canvas. Not because I like them any less, just a matter of having the time to paint. I do have images already in mind for them, So I thought I’d walk you through how my mind works when I’m listening to these songs. 


**After the paintings are on canvas, we will go back to get all points of view like the other posts**


I will warn you now though, there is no possible way to describe everything that goes through my mind during my creative process.. trust me, You’d get dizzy.... 


I will start with track #5: “Like I Do”

For as much as I LOVE this song and can relate to this it (as I am sure we all do or did at some point of our lives..), I was having a hard time picturing the exact image I wanted to portray. I have so many but at first my mind just kept going right to the lyric “You were standing there, with street lights in your hair” ...That seemed like just the obvious route and I didn't feel I’d do the song justice.


 I was watching the movie “Hitch” the other night and in one of my favorite scenes there is a line from Albert (Kevin James) where he says to Hitch, “You know what it is like getting up every morning feeling hopeless, feeling like the love of your life is waking up with the wrong man? But, at the same time, hoping that she still finds happiness, even if it’s never going to be with you?” I love love love that line, especially when you look at his character and the character he is talking about. Anyway (I warned you, my mind is a labyrinth...) The point of that was that I was watching that movie and thought, “damn, that song would be a perfect in that scene.” Now, back on track....


 This is a song that everyone can relate to, whether you are looking at it from a jealousy standpoint like, seeing your ex with someone new, knowing that you will always be better for them. That new person could never know them the way you did. Which Is how I hear the song being told...OR...from the perspective of seeing someone you love, whether they know it or not, seeing them with someone thinking that the person they are with could never love them or know them the way you do. I think every single one of you have been in one, if not both of those situations. 


Today at work I was listening to “Like I do”  and I finally had a thought that I was pretty happy with.... But I am not going to tell you! :-)  I said I’d explain my thought process... not give away any surprises.... 


Now Onto Track #6: “Open your Eyes” 


This song...needs to be on a movie soundtrack, like.. ASAP... It’s beautiful, haunting, and brilliant! If I were a film writer, I’d seriously write a movie just so I could use this song.....which is why... I have decided to make this one a self portrait. Now, no worries... I’m not going to paint a “selfie” holding a rose.. or anything cheesy like a typical self portrait.. hopefully you all know me well enough that you kinda figured that... 

To me, when I say it should be in a movie. I have a specific scene in mind... I picture hearing it when the lead character has a life changing epiphany, when they realize something they should have been seeing all along .... 

I relate to this song on so many levels from “Everyone can see, Everyone but me” to “Remembering where I end and where you start”... 

I often think about the fact that my life is  MY movie... it has constant plot twists, dream sequences, main characters as well as characters that have been written off or those yet to appear. There are a lot of things personally specific to me where this song is screaming at me to open my eyes.... It just strikes this cord deep inside me so deeply, there was no other option for me than to portray...me...... 


I will share something awesome with you though since I teased you earlier... It’s not a promise because I have yet to try it and see if it will even work, but my HOPES for this painting are you have a super, 3D textured background.... I plan on ATTEMPTING to first cover the canvas with the lyrics in raised braille... not sure where that came from, but when the thought  ran through my head I was pretty damn excited ..... 


So, there you have it... if I went through every single thought in my head we’d be here forever.  haha. The next post will be back to our regular format for Track #7 “You don’t know me” ... talk to ya soon!!!!!! Have an awesome night 

- Jenn 

No comments:

Post a Comment