Popular Posts

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A visual review of Lee DeWyze's new album "Frames", track #7 "you don't know me"

We are back!
This is the “other” painting I was referring to when I told you about track 2- “Fire Away”
The night I was actually up the entire night with ideas running through my mind. I woke up and worked on this painting and “Fire Away” at the exact same time. I’d add paint to one, and then while that dried… work on the other. Both paintings were completed by the end of that day. Both paintings are similar in the fact that they are simple, yet the message is pretty legit. As a matter of fact, the message on both songs is very similar as well.
 
The beat of the song is upbeat however I think that vibe changes depending on if you are hearing Lee sing it live, listening to the main recorded version or the acoustic version on the Deluxe album… I painted this one with the main album version in mind. To me, when I hear this song, from the very beginning I am just picturing a record spinning the entire time…skipping & jumping over the cracks. Although the music seems upbeat, the message is quite clear “you don’t know me!”  I painted this from the perspective of dealing with people that THINK they know you and THINK they know what is best for you. I can speak personally to this song as well from my past and at times in even the present.  It could be from a creative standpoint… where your creativity is being repressed and governed by people that think they know better and try to change you, but also in life, in general. I have always been that person that was always there for people when they needed me, I never asked questions I just was there when I was needed… but you know what? That takes it’s toll on you. You may think you are being the good person…not making waves….going with the flow, but eventually, it will catch up with you. As I grew as a person, learning to do what is best for me and what I want to do… I found that those people you were always there for… they refuse to acknowledge your growth, your opinions, etc. They think they know you; they look down on you when you grow a back bone… and you know what, you find you don’t need them or want them around anymore. No one can tell you what is good for you than YOU can… it took me far too long to realize this, and I still struggle with this. This is how I take this song… You are dealing with these people and now you are fed up, you do not want them around…you wish it worked out, but hey- it didn’t and you are doing it your way.  I think Lee did just that and I do not know about you, I’m pretty damn excited he did!
For someone to stand up for what they feel and believe in, then use that to fuel even more creativity?... hell yes! Slow clap to you Mr. DeWyze !
 
Here is Mare’s point of view from the music & the art: 
 There are times when people will make assumptions about you, stereotype you, or put you into a mold they’ve created and they’ll say “YOU have to be THIS!”... but it will be based on THEIR views, judgements, thoughts and needs. Sometimes, people have blinders on and can’t see others for who they really are... but they are convinced they are right. When someone makes an assumption about me or they think they know me and it’s completely wrong.... it pisses me off and it’s hurtful, however.... it makes it easier for me to write them off. I’ve learned that there’s nothing I can do when someone refuses to see the real me... I accept it and move on. Because somewhere, there ARE people who will.


Some people choose to conform, thinking things will be easier. People can get locked in to that and start to become what others think they are....and lose themselves. The people who KNOW who they are.... they refuse. When you don’t or can’t conform, you have three choices: bend, break or say goodbye. You can only be what someone else needs for so long before something has to give. You can only tolerate the “mold” for so long. You can only tolerate other people’s assumptions about you for so long. Sometimes people start out on the same page, and as time goes by, one grows and one doesn’t and you begin to go in opposite directions. Do you stay together or go separate ways? What happens when expectation and reality go in opposite directions? There is a shock that comes with the realization that people you’ve been close with WOULDN’T know you. No matter how many times you try to show people who you are.... they just can’t grasp it because they need or want you to be someone else. Whether it’s a relationship, partnership, personal or business.


Breaking out of that and walking away.... that’s freedom. Leaving the frustration behind and realizing that it’s ok for people to NOT know you, because YOU know you.... and then continuing to BE you.... that’s authentic.  


This song MUST be sung with attitude... and personally, I like to get a little “salty” with it.... because it can’t be helped. It isn’t an angry kind of song... It’s the stage just past that. It’s just confidence, without being arrogant... someone washing their hands of the past. A shrug, and a “peace out” kind of vibe... “I’m done”.  It’s an old time chill vibe with a definitive but easy beat mixed with the roughness and grit in a tone that delivers the message.... A confrontation, an acceptance and a goodbye.  


The art is obviously a record that is broken.... in a way that looks like it was stomped on. Behind it are the lyrics, torn up, stained in a vintage look...the past. It looks like frustration left behind. The record....a break from the past, and perhaps the road to true creativity.... and freedom.


Here are Danielle’s thoughts on this painting looking at the art alone without knowing the music:
 
This is such an interesting piece. On first glance I think about the broken record and that makes me feel like the music has stopped. Then I notice the words in the background and I think to myself…ha ha you may have broken my record but the music lives on...even in its choppy texture the words are still there! It's like the record is saying, "you can break me but you sure as hell won't shut me up" Now, if you remember I said at first glance...when I take note of the name of the painting I suddenly I feel like this painting is saying I know I sound like a broken record but this is who I am...the words are here you're just not listening...the painting screams, "MUST I SPELL IT OUT FOR YOU"
 
You can hear “You don’t know me” here: 
another amazing in studio video posted by Lee DeWyze 
 
“You don’t know me” Lyrics
 
You don't know me
So why you staring me down
You don't know me
And I don't want you around
 
And like a bullet from your lips that hit me right between the eyes
We knew it had to come to this, so it shouldn't come as a surprise
The problem is, in all of this
 
You don't know me
You don't know me
You don't know me, like you did before
You don't know me
You don't know me
You don't know me
Like you did before
 
What happened to your kiss
There is nothing left inside
Well there must be more than this
At least I can say I've tried
 
The problem is
In all of this
 
You don't know me
You don't know me
You don't know me, like you did before
You don't know me
You don't know me
You don't know me
Like you did before
 
I wish I was wrong, I wish I was wrong,
Wish I was wrong, I wish I was wrong
 
oh....oh....oh....oh....
oh....oh....oh....oh....
oh....oh....oh....oh....
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment